Thursday, December 18, 2008

We finally put our little fake Christmas tree up today. Am I the only one who feels like the ornaments are never spread out like they should be? They always seem to be in clumps, but when I move them, they clump in other places. I don't think I have the gift of decorating Christmas trees. I always want to be a crafty-type person, but when I try, the fruit of my hands always looks like it was made by a ten year old.

We do a pretty low-key Christmas usually, because dh is not a fan of holidays and traditions and fuss and bother. This Christmas is even lower-key than usual, because we leave for furlough about ten days after Christmas. But my favorite thing about Christmas has not changed. I love the carols that spell out the point of the whole holiday. Here's a sample:

God rest ye merry gentlemen, let nothing you dismay
Remember Christ our Saviour was born on Christmas day
To save us all from Satan's power when we had gone astray...
...................................................................................................

Peace on earth and mercy mild
God and sinners reconciled

.................................................................................................

Then why should men on earth be so sad,
Since our Redeemer made us glad?
When from our sin he set us free,
All for to gain our liberty?
When sin departs before His grace,
Then life and health come in its place.

(Sussex Carol)

"Jesus is the reason for the season"...but that's not specific enough. The reason for the season is freedom from the power and bondage and penalty of our sin...I can't possibly thing of a better reason for celebration than that is!